The Henry Hiteman Engine and Hose Company (West Winfield Fire Department) was started in April 1906 after several fires nearly decimated the downtown area of the Village. A fire hall was built and efforts were initiated to raise funds to purchase fire equipment. Over the years, we evolved from hand drawn hose and ladder carts to early motorized apparatus. Since those early days through the efforts of the Department, the Town of Winfield and the Village of West Winfield, we have obtained some of the best apparatus and equipment that this area has to offer.
Ambulance service was initiated in the 1940s with a remodeled hearse. That facet of our emergency protection has developed into full Advanced Life Support emergency services with the latest in equipment and training.
The Department responds to about 50 fire, rescue and mutual aid calls in addition to nearly 400 ambulance calls per year.